Friday, February 17, 2017

2/17/2017

Signs of the Seasons:
Yesterday, after a heavy rain, MM noticed frogs chirping from the back door, in the direction of the road.

Work in progress:
Found a virtual unlimited source of sawdust mule stable sweepings, aged 1-3 years, and cow manure, not aged, from Bill's ranch.  Running a test to see if snow peas will sprout in it.
What I believe is the former garden has distinct difference in vegetation. Little grass, much more broadleaf. I collected water from holes dug in the areas.  Water level was at the surface in the garden, and about 8" deep on hillside.

I have bought and built a walk-in greenhouse for starts- and a few different types of potting soil to test with soil blocker. Still too cold with occasional freezes for me to try starting anything.  Exposed some large worms in the grassy area digging the hole- a good sign.

I'm gathering materials to sheath the hoop house. I will reuse some of the polycarbonate siding from 921 for the lower area, and a 16 foot square of nursery film for the top. All I need are u-bolts for the 1x4's that make the transition and to frame in the door at one end, to get started.

Bought push-pull garden dump cart. Took me a day to assemble it. Hauled 3 loads of maple leaves to the compost bin out back.

Checked out caged trees in lower meadow. They're in bad shape; all overrun with weeds and many cages with no trees within.  Can't figure out species what any of the living trees are; plus the exposure of the  trees is not likely to get them much sun. Decided not to do anything until I can identify the trees, beyond a little weeding. Maybe they like shade.

Many fallen trees and saplings- need to get some forestry done.  For this to happen I need the generator working and also a winch to pull the logs out of the tangle, and somehow to drag the logs into a central location.  I have stalled in the winch installation over a few bolts I need, plus some grinding to make the fairlead work better.  The generator needs to have oil topped off before I can use it- and damned if I can find the fill or dipstick hole. I need the lawn tractor and the pickup truck for hauling materials even more now. Bonus: the new garden cart is towable.

Everywhere I dig, the soil is full of clay.  This is new to me.  Permaculture wisdom is to add organic material, which is definitely on my list.  Everywhere, the ground is saturated, with water puddling up in the plot where I wanted a vegetable garden off the back patio.  I think I will claim all the stable sweepings I can get, and use raised beds to plant in, if the sweepings pass the test.

I'm concerned that the water is not penetrating the ground deep enough on the hillside and the meadow- I suppose this is all the more reason to do deep trenched swales filled with woody debris.  Digging these swales will have to wait until the soil is not so saturated, I'm afraid.  Which begs the question: can I get some trees planted this year?




No comments:

Post a Comment