Saturday, January 28, 2017

In which I revisit the legacy fruit saplings and scout greenhouse areas, and plan my first kitchen garden

The day dawned overcast but dry today, and thanks to our economy measures the house was at a predesignated 55 degrees. I had slept better than most nights, and it was 8 before I left my snug warm bed. Spent a half hour making a blazing fire in the wood heating stove, and turned up the thermostat to 60, just enough to circulate some air while the wood stove did the heavy lifting. The result was the central area being warm, and the bedrooms somewhat cool.

Made corn pancakes for breakfast with eggs, coffee, bourbon maple syrup, and OJ. 

Adam Rust came by with a pair of bolt cutters to cut off the other realtor’s lockbox attached to our porchlight. We hadn’t seen him since the signing. We invited him in and had a nice chat. In the end the bolt cutters did no good at all, but he promised to work on getting it done another way, through the manufacturer.

Worked on organizing the workshop area of the garage some more.  Reinforced and put locking casters on the drill press stand.

Lunch was peanut butter and banana with apples and Earl Grey tea. Thank you MM.

After lunch I found fencing pliers and loaded them, some t-posts, t-post driver, some baling wire, and some loading straps into the wagon and went out to repair the cages around the sapling fruit trees North of the house.  Two of the trees were pushed down severely, and I arranged two t-posts in a braced upright to put some pressure on the fallen trees to straighten them.  Tomorrow I will tighten the straps some more- hoping to straighten the trunk without breaking anything. There are two apple and two cherry trees, and a peach tree that didn’t survive.  Some other trees in that area I can’t identify- perhaps more fruit trees.  Time will tell.

The saplings were in awful shape when we saw them last Fall, some of their cages falling down or crushed by a rampaging mower, it looked like. They didn’t look any better today.  I straightened the cages and tried to put things right, but I wonder whether the surviving canes are rootstock or scion in some cases.  If rootstock, maybe I can propagate it to make more root stock trees and graft my own scion onto it.

 The ones that live may bear some fruit this year, but I will not let them bear more than a half-dozen fruits so that they can grow stronger.

By all appearances we can look forward to a bumper crop of blackberries this year. The forest will yield a generous supply of fallen alders and such from the last ice storm, once I can get tooled up and harvest them for firewood, and 10 foot fence posts, something I will need a lot of very soon, for deer-proof fences. Anything accruing from my planting annuals depends on how much I can do while I am in this wrist brace, with all my other infirmities.

My first thought for the ideal process to build a garden is to first build a portable chicken house and place it inside the deer-fenced garden plot.  Using the plot for a chicken run and forage for 8-10 weeks {meat birds) should condition the soil, especially if I put generous amounts of straw down. Not sure where the parallel idea of straw-bale gardening will fit in- maybe as a heat source for the chicken house…

I have sites for two greenhouses-  one frame already put up in the upper orchard which needs a covering, and also between the RV pad and the Annex- a proper zone one configuration.

MM worked on putting doors back on the seven and a half foot wide oak veneer bookshelves, which we built together yesterday, and the division of that area to two small bedrooms is virtually accomplished.  If we like it we will build a permanent wall there. Some books are loaded into that 3-bay system and we are thinking of adding one more bookcase to close the gap.

Dinner was French green lentil and rice soup, flavored with some bacon and assorted veggies- served with drop biscuits and cookies made from some batter I had frozen from the last batch. This took me an hour and a half to make, so next time I need to knock off work earlier.

And now catching up on journaling- I suppose I’ll never record some of the things that happen, once they pass me by, but here, at least, is some of the flavor.



No comments:

Post a Comment