Monday, February 27, 2017

Peavey, log jack, and a log with wheels, still won't tow

Got the brand new peavey and log jack from Fedex today- required some assembly. (BTW what sadist decided to use a bolt with a 5/8" hex head with a locknut that is 11/16?  took me three trips to the tool bench to get it right!) Once assembled I tried them on the log that has been stranded at the side of the driveway since the first week in January. Now that is one big log, but I was able to use the two to roll the log, and using all my weight I got the thing onto the log jack.  Now I wanted to try out the invention I've been working on since then- wheels for the back end so that I could hitch the front to my trailer hitch and tow it "effortlessly" to  new location.








Top to Bottom: Peavy, Log Jack. Come-Along

Back wheels did make it- needed some longer 3/4" pipe for alignment bars, but proof of concept great so far.  But the front end didn't hitch up the way I thought it would.  My tow ball is so low that the log cannot hang on it without dragging on the ground. I did manage to rig up an a-frame ladder with a come-along to lift it above the hitch, but didn't have a way to mount it there.


Left: towed end of log, Right the trailer hitch.  Never the twain met today.



Brainstorm ideas:

1. Maybe I can get a tow hitch like they use with jacked-up pickups with a long drop, except turn it upside-down to get it higher.

2. Maybe I can use a hitch without a ball (just the hole) and put a lag bolt into the log end, then drop it onto the hole in the tow hitch to form a pivot joint. Remove the lag bolt at the log's destination. Problem with this one is I am incapable of turning the nut under the ball* to get the darn thing off, so it would have to be a new bar for the 2" socket.  *no kidding, the best wrench I have won't budge it.


3. Wait and see whether the arrangements in the garden tractor back end are conducive to another solution.

Since (1) and (2) require a trip into town I opted for (3) for the night.

In the long term (2) seems most elegant if I can rig it. First drill, then turn in lag screw.  Lift it and place in hitch, using a-frame ladder and come-along, then lift back end for wheel installation the same way, with the hitched end adding stability.

3 comments:

  1. Or -- you could use a chain saw to turn it into stove-length sections, and load those into the back of the truck? I like your ingenuity, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that's what MM said. But I want the logs whole, to use for terracing, fence posts, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, I should have written "Lag screw" not bolt.

    ReplyDelete