Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Bioassay for Bill's manure 2nd try

This time I'm following the document from North Carolina State University more closely.

 (HERBICIDE CARRYOVER IN HAY, MANURE, COMPOST, AND GRASS CLIPPINGS:
Caution to Hay Producers, Livestock Owners, Farmers, and Home Gardeners page 3) 



 P test number two

Mixed three pots of sample material with three parts of combined planting mix to fill six pots each.  Control pots got twice the amount of planting mix. Brands below.

Into each pot I sowed three peas at 1" depth, then tamped the soil down a little and added some water to get them going.  Though the mix was moist, the mix contained the water I sprinkled on top.

Six pots for each test material fit in a seed starting tray. Four trays of six pots fit on the old four-shelf plastic stand which I put in the heated family room to sprout, then on to the cooler greenhouse to grow out.

The test is over when three sets of true leaves have developed.  If all plants and the control look healthy, the material is good to go.

Materials:
Organics Vigorous organic garden soil
Dr. earth motherland all purpose planting mix
Cedar Grove potting soil
CFO cow manure
Mule stable sweepings top
Mule stable sweepings middle
Ferry-Morse Sugar snap peas- three envelopes, mixed together.
24 6-inch pots
4 seed starting trays

If the peas do well, I guess I'll keep them in the greenhouse for an early-spring treat when they ripen.

1 comment:

  1. 3/26:
    One of the batches (mule top) sprouted more seeds than the control- about 50%. vs control about 40%. Something is wrong with the test. Bad seeds or potting soil? I don't know, but I will stop trying to test and just buy what I need for now.

    ReplyDelete