Sunday, May 21, 2017

5/21 snapshot

I am working on some project-oriented posts to come a bit later, but here is a snapshot which may be a bit redundant.

I have been doing a lot of work on raised beds within the 16'x16' hoophouse frame.  I built six 12"x 2'x8' beds and filled them with 2/3 trucked-in topsoil and 1/3 manure-enhanced grass clipping compost. This amounted to 3 1/2 yards of topsoil (a black blend of sand and clay and commercial compost) and a little over a yard of composted grass. It seems like I've been shoveling and turning soil for a week, but really it has only been since Wednesday.  

Of course Tuesday I finished the beds and went to Katja's homestead on Gowdyville road for a sloppy truckload (2 yards) of "organic" cow manure (it had been raining) with the help of Edgar, who gives me 6 hours of his time once a week for my heavier projects, for pay.  My truck bed is a little higher than most, and it was with a certain pang of jealousy that I watched him hop up on the tailgate, when I have trouble getting in with two cinderblocks to step on and a stout hoe to steady myself. But he's a biddable, steady worker and his strength is welcome.

I've already bought some plants for the hoop house and elsewhere from various sites, including the Thursday farmer's market (4-7 pm) and the nursery north of Eugene for fruit trees.

hoop house- six tomatoes, three peppers, one tomatillo, 
half-shade hugel mound: six currants of white, red, and black, two globe artichokes, 
three elaeagnus (goumi) for the calico hedge project
climbing jasmine, citronella geranium, and of course two plums and two apples.

Plus that big ammo box full of landrace beans, corn, and squash from Carol Deppe.

I have been trying to get the forestry taken care of, but it's a lot.  There are enough trees having fallen by themselves so that I will not have to fell a tree for years, except one six inch oak that's shading the hoop house.  I'm letting it stand until I finish construction of the ends and cover- I like the shade.

Firewood Wednesdays have been suspended until I get some planting done.  I have bought most of the materials I need to extend the wood shed eight feet to contain our goal of six cords of wood by October. I also want to add a system to save our roof runoff in a large cistern, as well as some of the water that rushes down the hillside every winter.

I have staked out a larger garden plot (28x32x46x30) to contain the hoop house and some more, terraced with logs and surrounded with a deer fence. I may make the fence first, then move it when I tow in logs. That project requires also harvesting smaller logs for fenceposts from the selection of downed trees.

Mowing the meadows is supplying me with a steady influx of grass clippings to compost. I should have one happy garden by and by, as the hot compost ages and gets stockpiled against garden needs and aged longer and longer as it piles up.  I salted the meadow with lentils and clover to make more nitrogen, and I guess a mowing with mulch attachment now and then instead of collecting the clippings would be appropriate. But the bootstrap effect of all those clippings is welcome right now.

Well, tomorrow is another day, and perhaps one of rest.  But I should get to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment